Caring and Commitment in Action
Assistance League of Salt Lake City is a 100% volunteer-driven organization bound by a strong mission to help people in need achieve a better quality of life. It's about getting involved and sharing what we have for the betterment of humankind, giving clothes to school children who too often go without, amusing a lonely senior, providing urgent treatment to a child suffering a toothache. This is what life is really about and that is what Assistance League is all about.
Children and adults facing real problems are offered real solutions through our eight programs.
- Thousands of Utah children do not own appropriate clothing for school impacting their academic performance, classroom conduct, attendance, self-esteem and health
- Many men and women re-entering the workforce lack appropriate clothing for interviews or for the job for which they've been hired
- Literacy is a key element of a child's success in school yet many children do not have books in their homes
- Senior citizens residing in care facilities often become isolated and lack interactions and activities that brighten their lives
- Hundreds of children suffer with painful mouths because they have no access to urgent dental treatment
- Hundreds of mothers of newborns lack basic necessities for their babies
- Victims of sexual assault need more than medical attention
- Homeless teens need basic survival necessities
- Successful alternative school students, many of them first-generation high school graduates, require laptops to further their college education
Students, preschool through high school, receive a supply of school clothing including coats and shoes.
Women and men striving for a better life and re-entering the workforce or continuing their education are given appropriate clothing, personal supplies, hair care and shoes.
Volunteers conduct reading groups in Head Start classrooms and provide books to children, classrooms, hospitals, care centers, agencies and school libraries.
Volunteer performers entertain seniors in assisted living, nursing, rehab and Alzheimer’s care centers with song and dance routines.
Children, preschool to high school, get urgently needed dental treatment restoring their health and smiles.
Newborns, vulnerable and in need, receive layettes of essential clothing, blankets and care items.
Victims of sexual assault are provided clothing and toiletry items to give comfort and support during this dark moment in their lives. Our clothing replaces the victim's clothes that are left at the hospital as evidence.
Eye on the Community
Our newest program, Eye on the Community, addresses needs not covered by our other programs. This program concentrates on helping homeless teens by providing basic necessities and on supporting alternative high school graduates as they enter college by providing laptop computers.